Updated: 07 October 2023
ICC World Cup 2023 IND vs. AUS: ODI Stats, Records & Pitch Report Of MA Chidambaram Stadium (Chepauk), Chennai. In the ODI World Cup 2023, the iconic M.A Chidambaram Stadium is all set to be the stage for five thrilling matches, including India’s opening game against the five-time champion, Australia, scheduled for October 8th. This promises to be a match of epic proportions at this historic venue.
Originally known as the Madras Cricket Club Ground, this stadium, dating back to 1916, proudly holds the title of India’s oldest cricket stadium. In a gesture of honor, the stadium was later renamed after MA Chidambaram, the former President of the BCCI and Tamil Nadu Cricket Association.
The MA Chidambaram Stadium has a seating capacity of 38,175 spectators. Among these, approximately 25,000 general admission tickets are available for purchase on the market, with the BCCI and ICC reserving around 6,000 for internal sales.
This historic ground serves as the home turf for the Tamil Nadu cricket team in domestic competitions and has been the formidable fortress of the Chennai Super Kings since the inception of the IPL in 2008.
ICC World Cup 2023: Match Schedule At MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
The MA Chidambaram Stadium is set to host five thrilling matches during the tournament, including the highly anticipated opener between India and Australia. Below is the complete list of fixtures:
● India vs Australia: October 8th at 02:00 PM (IST)
● New Zealand vs Bangladesh: October 13th at 02:00 PM (IST)
● New Zealand vs Afghanistan: October 18th at 02:00 PM (IST)
● Pakistan vs Afghanistan: October 23rd at 02:00 PM (IST)
● Pakistan vs South Africa: October 27th at 02:00 PM (IST)
Key Stats & Facts About MA Chidambaram Stadium
The MA Chidambaram Stadium boasts a rich history in cricket, with the following noteworthy statistics and facts:
- Total matches hosted: 34
- Matches won batting first: 17
- Matches won bowling first: 16
- Average 1st Innings scores: 224
- Average 2nd Innings scores: 205
Notable cricketing milestones at MA Chidambaram Stadium:
● The highest individual ODI score at this stadium is 194, achieved by Pakistan’s Saeed Anwar.
● It is renowned for hosting the inaugural Ranji Trophy game.
● Virender Sehwag’s remarkable innings of 319 against South Africa remains the highest Test score ever recorded here.
In ODI matches, some memorable team performances include:
● The highest team score in an ODI at Chepauk was 327/5 by Pakistan against India in 1997. Pakistan emerged victorious in that match by 35 runs.
● On the flip side, the lowest team score in an ODI at Chepauk is a mere 69, recorded by Kenya against New Zealand in 2011.
ODI Records at MA Chidambaram Stadium:
ODIs Played: 22
Games Won Batting First: 13
Games Won Batting Second: 8
Average 1st Innings Total: 242″
India has played a total of 13 ODI matches at this venue, securing victory in seven, suffering defeat in five, and experiencing one no-result game. Meanwhile, Australia has contested five ODI matches here, winning four of them and losing just one.
MA Chidambaram Stadium (Chepauk) Pitch Report
The MA Chidambaram Stadium is renowned for its unique pitch characteristics. Traditionally, this pitch strongly favors spin bowlers, making it a challenging terrain for batsmen. Additionally, historical data suggests that batting first often provides an advantage in the game. The influence of Chennai’s hot and humid climate further shapes the dynamics of matches played here.
The pitch at this stadium is a combination of clay and red soil, which tends to assist spinners while still offering a reasonably fair surface for batsmen to ply their trade. To ensure fairness, the ground staff may employ anti-dew chemicals if necessary, particularly for matches played under artificial lights during the World Cup.
India’s schedule for the ODI World Cup 2023
Oct 8: India vs. Australia in Chennai
Oct 11: India vs. Afghanistan in Delhi
Oct 14: India vs. Pakistan in Ahmedabad
Oct 19: India vs. Bangladesh in Pune
Oct 22: India vs. New Zealand in Dharamsala
Oct 29: India vs. England in Lucknow
Nov 2: India vs. Sri Lanka in Mumbai
Nov 5: India vs. South Africa in Kolkata
Nov 11: India vs. Netherlands in Bengaluru
India ODI World Cup 2023 squad
Rohit Sharma (Captain), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer,KL Rahul, Ishan Kishan,, Hardik Pandya (Vice-captain), Suryakumar Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin Shardul Thakur, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Shami, Mohd. Siraj, Kuldeep Yadav.