Updated: 6 October 2023
Asian Games 2023: Team India Hockey Result, Schedule, Matches, And Squad. India men’s hockey team faced Japan, the defending gold medallists at the Asian Games 2023 summit clash. Both the teams had met each other in the group stage where India trumped Japan 4-2. Japan had defeated India in the semi-final of the 2018 Asian Games and India was eying a sweet revenge.
India comprehensively defeated Japan to win the gold in Men’s Hockey at the Asian Games 2023. The scoreline stood at 5-1 in India’s favor with goals from captain Manpreet, Harmanpreet, Abhishek, and Amit Rohidas.
Team India Hockey Result: Asian Games 2023
India VS Japan
The game was between India’s flamboyant attacking prowess and Japan’s impenetrable defense. Japan did well until the first half as it could handle India’s ultra-attacking strategy. It took some magical skills from captain Manpreet Singh to give India the lead just 3 minutes before halftime.
Even after conceding a goal, the game was evenly poised at halftime. Japan went into the break hoping to turn things around. However, what followed was absolute carnage as India scored three back-to-back goals in the second half and the scoreline read 4-0 in India’s favor. Surely it was too much for Japan and they could only manage a consolation goal late into the second half.
Victory at the Asian Games stamped India’s dominance at the continental level. All attention now shifts to the Paris Olympic Games in 2024.
Team India Hockey Result: Match Scoreline
India 5-1 Japan
Tanaka Seren 56’ (PC)
Harmanpreet 32’ 59’ (PC)
Amit Rohidas 36’
Highlights of India VS Japan: Team India Hockey Result Asian Games 2023
- 15’ First Penalty Corner of the game and it goes to India. Harmanpreet takes it but the ball deflects and goes out of the backline.
- 17’ Another PC for India. Harmanpreet passes it to Mandeep who flicks it to Rohidas and he drives it wide.
- 25’ Goal! India’s captain Manpreet gives the lead. A fantastic reverse hit finds the back of the net and India finally breaks the impenetrable Japanese defence.
- 30’ Half Time and score stands India 1 -0 Japan
- 32’ Goal! Finally, India converts a PC. Harmanpreet with a powerful shot to the right of the keeper.
- 36’ Goal! Absolute carnage from India. The third of the game and the second within six minutes of halftime. This time Amit Rohidas finds the back of the net.
- 48’ Goal! This is proper humiliation for the defending champions. Abhishek runs into the box, receives the cross from Hardik, and easily puts it past the keeper.
- 52’ Goal! Some consolation for Japan as they also get on the scoresheet courtesy of a PC.
- 59’ Goal! It is a proper thrashing. Complete destruction as India gets its fifth goal courtesy of another PC. It is India’s workhorse Harmanpreet, the PC specialist who converts another PC.
Hockey Group Division: Asian Games 2023
Pool A – Japan, Bangladesh, India, Singapore, Pakistan, Uzbekistan
Pool B – Oman, Korea, Malaysia, China, Indonesia, Thailand
Pool A – Malaysia, Singapore, Republic of Korea, India, Hong Kong
Pool B – Indonesia, China, Thailand, Japan, Kazakhstan
Team India Hockey Schedule: Asian Games 2023
Indian Men’s Hockey Team Schedule
All times are in Indian Standard Time
- 24th September, Sunday: India VS Uzbekistan – 8:45 AM
- 26th September, Tuesday: India VS Singapore – 6:30 AM
- 28th September, Thursday: India VS Japan – 6:15 PM
- 30th September, Saturday: India Vs Pakistan – 6:30 PM
- 2nd October, Monday: India VS Bangladesh – 1:15 PM
Indian Women’s Hockey Team Schedule
All times are in the Indian Standard Time
- 27th September, Wednesday: India VS Singapore – 10:15 AM
- 29th September, Friday: India VS Malaysia – 4:00 PM
- 1st October, Sunday: India VS Republic of Korea – 1:30 PM
- 3rd October, Tuesday: India VS Hong Kong – 7:45 AM
Indian Hockey Team Squad Details: Asian Games 2023
Women’s Hockey Tentative Squad
Goalkeepers: Bansari Solanki, Bichu Devi Kharibam, Rajani Etimarpu, Savita.
Defenders: Akshata Abaso Dhekale, Jyoti Chhatri, Ishika Chaudhary, Deep Grace Ekka, Nikki Pradhan, Gurjit Kaur, Mahima Chowdhary, Udita.
Midfielders: Ajmina Kujur, Baljeet Kaur, Salima Tete, Nisha, Sushila Chanu Pukhrambam, Navjot Kaur, Monika, Mariana Kujur, Vaishnavi Vitthal Phalke, Neha, Reena Khokhar.
Forwards: Vandana Katariya, Mumtaz Khan, Sharmila Devi, Sangita Kumari, Deepika, Beauty Dungdung, Navneet Kaur, Sunelita Toppo, Lalremsiami.
Head Coach: Janneke Schopman
Rani Rampal, veteran and former captain is the notable exclusion.
Asian Games 2023 India Men’s Hockey Squad
Hockey India has not announced the men’s squad for the Asian Games but it is believed that they will keep the same team that they had selected for the Asian Champions Trophy.
What Happens If The Indian Hockey Team Wins the Gold Medal?
A gold medal at the Asian Games 2023 means direct qualification for the 2024 Paris Olympics. If our hockey team wins a gold medal, they do not have to go through a rigorous qualifying process. They can utilize the additional time available for better preparations and mount a significant challenge for the medal. This direct qualification rule applies to both men’s and women’s teams.