Updated: 22 June 2022
FIFA World Cup 2022: Top 5 Players Who Can Win the Golden Boot Award. The best football players from across the globe represent their nations and fight all out for the prestigious FIFA World Cup trophy every four years and we are set to witness the mega-event of football once again this year. The 2022 FIFA World Cup, as we all know, is set to be held in Qatar from 21 Nov- 18 December. and in this article, we shall be discussing 5 such players who are top contenders to win the Golden Boot award this year. For the unversed, the Golden Boot is awarded to the highest goalscorer in each edition of the FIFA World Cup.
FIFA World Cup 2022: Top 5 Players Who Can Win the Golden Boot Award
5. Memphis Depay – Dutch International Memphis Depay has lately had a prolific goalscoring record for his nation in friendlies and the Nations League. The FC Barcelona forward might not have had a great season with his club last season but while playing for the Netherlands, Memphis Depay always gives his best and he is undoubtedly one of their biggest hopes at the 2022 World Cup.
Although the Netherlands do have the option of Luuk De Jong, Memphis Depay remains their main man up top and if they score, there is almost a possibility that Memphis Depay will be the one to put it in the back of the net.
4. Kylian Mbappe – Last time when Kylian Mbappe played in the World Cup, i.e, in 2018, he was just 18 years old. Yet, he was one of the key players in their playing XI and he led them to the prestigious World Cup trophy right from the front. Mbappe is a much more mature player now and is considered to be one of the absolute bests in the world.
He is a better goalscorer, a better dribbler, and much more capable to play as a leader. And we all know that he has a sensational eye and hunger for goals. All these parameters combined make him one of the favorites to win the Golden Boot award in the Qatar World Cup.
3. Cristiano Ronaldo – Do we even need to introduce this guy? At 37 years, Cristiano Ronaldo remains one of the best poachers in the World. His positioning and finishing are still world-class and just like he carried Portugal to the Quarter Finals in the 2018 World Cup, he can repeat his heroics in the 2022 Qatar World Cup as well. Ronaldo was the top scorer with 5 goals in Euro 2020 and this proves that he’s still got what it takes to rule the biggest tournament in the World.
2. Harry Kane – It’s now time to mention the most recent recipient of the Golden Boot award in the FIFA World Cup. Harry Kane comfortably won the award in the 2018 FIFA World Cup with 6 goals. Given the fact that England is still one of the strongest sides in the tournament.
Harry Kane definitely still has the opportunity to win the Golden Boot award for two World Cups in a row, which will be a fantastic achievement. Kane is also just 3 goals away from becoming England’s highest goalscorer.
1. Karim Benzema – Karim Benzema is undoubtedly the best player in the world presently. He gave a performance of a lifetime last season with his club Real Madrid and led them to win their record 14th UEFA Champions League title. He is the forerunner to win the Ballon d’Or award this year and he will definitely be the player to watch out for in the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Karim Benzema has given a sensational performance for France for the last two years and he is expected to do the same in the upcoming tournament as well.