Updated: 28 June 2022
FIFA World Cup 2022: Argentina Squad Analysis. There is no doubt in the fact that Argentina is one of the absolute favorites to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The La Albiceleste have been unbeaten for the last 33 matches, they recently defeated Brazil and Italy to win the Copa America and La Finalissima in the most dominating fashion and they have risen up FIFA’s International rankings to become the 3rd ranked team in the World.
All this clearly indicates at least one thing – there is an aura of change in Argentina’s camp. The transformation process of the National team started immediately when former Argentine player Lionel Scaloni was appointed as their head coach. Scaloni had very little experience in managing a team of such grandeur scale prior to his job at the Argentina National team and thus no one had expected this much of a sensational job on his part.
Also Read: FIFA World Cup 2022: All Teams List, Captain, And Coach
Scaloni has been able to build an incredible team around their captain Lionel Messi – which Argentina had needed for decades now and it is finally paying off. The chemistry in the current Argentina squad is indescribable and they are all bound by their love and admiration towards their Capitan Lionel Andres Messi and they will do everything that it takes to win the World Cup for him and the country.
In this article, we thus talk about the FIFA 2022 World Cup Squad of Argentina and we analyze the strength of their squad to see how much of a chance they actually have of winning the World Cup in Qatar this year.
Also Read: FIFA World Cup 2022: Top 4 Favourites to Lift the Trophy
FIFA World Cup 2022: Argentina Squad
- FW: Lucas Boye (Elche), FW: Luka Romero (Lazio)
- DF: Juan Foyth (Villarreal), DF: Christin Romario (Tottenham), DF: Lucas Martinez Quarta (Fiorentina), DF: Lisandro Martinez (Ajax),DF: Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax)
- MF: Guido Rodriguez (Real Betis), MF: Leandro Paredes (PSG),MF: Rodrigo De Paul (Atletico Madrid), MF: Exequiel Palacios (Bayer Leverkusen), MF: Giovanni Lo Celso (Villarreal), MF: Lucas Ocampos (Sevilla)
- DF: Nahuel Molina (Udinese), DF: Gonzalo Montiel (Sevilla), DF: German Pezzella (Real Betis), DF: Nicolas Otamendi (Benfica)
- FW: Nicolas Gonzalez (Fiorentina), FW: Angel Correa (Atletico Madrid), FW: Lautaro Martinez (Inter), FW: Paulo Dybala, Juventus, FW: Julian Alvarez (River Plate), FW: Joaquin Correa (Inter)
- MF: Alejandro Garnacho (Manchester United), MF: Manuel Lanzini (West Ham), MF: Nicolas Paz (Real Madrid), MF: Tiago Geralnik (Villarreal), MF: Franco Carboni (Inter Milan), MF: Valentin Carboni (Inter Milan), MF: Matias Soule (Juventus), MF: Exequiel Zeballos, Boca Juniors, MF: Angel Di Maria (PSG)
- FW: Lionel Messi (PSG)
- GK: Franco Armani (River Plate), GK: Emilliano Martinez (Aston Villa) , GK: Geronimo Rulli (Villarreal), GK: Juan Musso (Atalanta)
Argentina Squad Analysis
There are three very noticeable details about Argentina’s squad for the 2022 World Cup. Firstly, it has a perfect balance of experienced and young players. Secondly, priority has been given to players who have excelled in Argentina’s domestic football league over the usual big names. Julian Alvarez of River Plate is the best example of this. And thirdly, it is a very well-balanced team overall and Lionel Scaloni will have a lot of options to choose from in every position.
The forward line will obviously be led by Lionel Messi, with the likes of Lisandro Martinez, Angel Di Maria, and maybe Paulo Dybala helping him. But it is Messi’s known trait to fall back and assist the midfield in playmaking as well and that is what makes Argentina’s midfield line consisting of Rodrigo De Paul, Lucas Ocampos, Paredes, and Lo Celso, so formidable.
Also Read: FIFA World Cup 2022: Records Cristiano Ronaldo Can Break In 2022 World Cup
The La Albiceleste also has a brilliant defense with options ranging from Otamendi, Tagliafico and Cristian Romero to Juan Foyth, Lisandro Martinez and Quarta.
And in the defense, Argentina has their very own wall, i.e, Emi Martinez who has been their undisputed man in between the posts for the past one year. Emi Martinez has been one of the best goalkeepers in International Football lately and it was his incredible performances in the La Finalissima and Copa America that won Argentina the Copa America.
If he continues to do so, he has a good chance of not only winning himself the Golden Gloves award but also winning Argentina their 3rd World Cup trophy.