The cricket fans across the globe were up for a huge surprise as Sardar Patel Cricket Stadium was renamed as the Narendra Modi Stadium on Wednesday 24th of February 2021.
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the venue which will host the 3rd and 4th pink ball test. Before the start of the play, Ram Nath Kovind performed bhumi pujan of the newly constructed stadium. Home Minister Amit Shah, Minister of sports Kiren Rijiju and Gujarat Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel were other dignitaries present at the occasion.
“Since PM Modi’s days as the Chief Minister of Gujrat, it was his vision that India should have world’s largest cricket stadium”. Amit shah present at this historical moment said.
He also added that apart from this stadium, another sports complex will be built in Nanpura to host international events with ultra-modern facilities which will make Ahmedabad the ‘sports city’ of the country. Exactly one year ago, PM Modi had hosted US President Donald Trump in a mega event “Namaste Trump” at this stadium only.
(BCCI) president Sourav Ganguly also applauded the facilities and the infrastructure of this new renovated world’s largest Sardar Patel cricket stadium.
Let’s have a glimpse on features of this world’s largest cricket stadium: Motera Stadium now which will be name as Narendra Modi Stadium
- The stadium has been constructed on a total land area of 67 acres.
- The sitting capacity of the stadium is 1,10,000, which is now the world’s largest cricket stadium.
- A total of Rupees 800 crore has been spent to renovate this cricket stadium.
- The project has been jointly executed by Government of India, Government of Gujarat, and the Ahmedabad Urban Development Authority (AUDA).
- The very first ODI played at this venue was way back in 1984.
- The lighting has been fitted with Led lights which is also the first of its kind in any Indian cricket stadium.
- The entire facility is such big in size that it can offer venues for over 20 Olympic Games such as athletics, badminton, football, aquatics, basketball etc. Also, it is closely connected to the metro.
- A total of 76 corporate boxes has been designed in this stadium with ultramodern state-of-the-art facilities.
- This cricket stadium boosts of having the biggest parking area inside a stadium premises in the world as it can fit in 3,000 cars and 10,000 two-wheelers in one go.
It’s indeed a historical day for the country as India has witnessed an event worth a thousand memories.