India VS Bangladesh Match Results and Highlights: Asian Games 2023. The Indian football team faced Bangladesh in a must-win match at the Asian Games 2023. The match happened at the Xiaoshan Stadium in Hangzhou. After a hard-fought battle, India emerged on top with a narrow 1-0 victory. The late spot-kick in the 84th minute by Sunil Chhetri helped India take the lead that they maintained. It was a much-needed victory for India after the thrashing they received at the hands of China in their first group encounter.
India VS Bangladesh Match Results in Asian Games 2023
It was a close game and there was nothing much to separate the teams. India started the match as favourites but Bangladesh showed that these tags and viewpoints don’t matter much on the football field. They defended resolutely and also launched quick and sharp counter-attacks to catch the Indian defense off-guard.
It was only in the 82nd minute when Miranda was fouled inside the box and India received a penalty. Sunil Chhetri stepped up and converted from the spot. It was a big relief for the fans and Igor Stimac as a draw would have made it very difficult for India to progress to the next round.
India 1 – 0 Bangladesh
Sunil Chhetri 85’ (P)
Man of the Match: Sunil Chhetri
Highlights of India vs. Bangladesh Match in Asian Games 2023
- 22’ Jayed Ahmed received the first yellow card of the game for a dangerous tackle on Sandesh Jhinghan.
- 45’ Mitul, the Bangladesh goalkeeper made three consecutive saves to keep it 0-0 at halftime
- 65’ The first big chance of the game came when Samuel Lyngdoh hit the woodwork from the free-kick. A delightful strike and the keeper just got a fingertip to it.
- 77’ Dheeraj Singh made a crucial save by jumping his line and blocking a through ball shot by Mujibur Rahman Johnny.
- 83’ Rahmat Mia fouls Miranda inside the box and the referee points to the spot. India gets a PENALTY.
- 85’ Sunil Chhetri steps up and calmly drills it to the bottom corner to give India a crucial lead with only 5 minutes of normal time left to play.
India 1 – 0 Bangladesh
Sunil Chhetri 85’ (Penalty)
India’s Next Match at Asian Games 2023
Next up India will face Myanmar in its last group game on 24 September 2023 at 05:00 PM IST).
You can watch the live broadcast on Sony Liv App