ICC ODI World Cup: Potential Opponent For India In Semi-final, Scenarios Explained For Pakistan, Afghanistan & New Zealand. India has already secured the top spot in the points table, the only remaining semi-final spot is left for the team that ends fourth in the points table. This team will face India in the semi-finals.
As the ICC ODI World Cup 2023 approaches its semi-final stage, the battle for the fourth spot in the standings. With Australia and South Africa already securing their place in the top four, the remaining semi-final berth is up for grabs. However, New Zealand, Pakistan, and Afghanistan vying for the opportunity to face the hosts.
New Zealand Leads the Race
New Zealand currently holds the most favourable position, boasting a net run rate (NRR) of +0.398. If they win against Sri Lanka on Thursday, they will firmly establish themselves as the frontrunner to challenge India in the semi-finals.
Pakistan’s final league match against England on Saturday could be decisive in their semi-final hopes. However, their chances of overtaking New Zealand depend on their performance against Sri Lanka. If New Zealand secures an important win, their superior net run rate will impede Pakistan’s path to the semi-finals.
Afghanistan met a challenging task, as they must first defeat South Africa, a team already secured a top-three finish. With their negative NRR, Afghanistan would need an incredible performance against South Africa to compensate for the insufficiency of NRR. A defeat for Afghanistan would especially diminish their chances of progressing to the semi-finals.
Potential Opponent For India In Semifinals Scenarios Explained
- New Zealand Wins: If New Zealand wins against Sri Lanka on Thursday, they will position themselves as the leading contender to challenge India in the World Cup 2023 semi-finals.
- New Zealand Loses and Afghanistan Wins: If New Zealand suffers a defeat to Sri Lanka while Afghanistan secures a victory against South Africa, Pakistan has an opportunity to overtake New Zealand with a win against England. In such a scenario, both Pakistan and Afghanistan would gather 10 points each, while New Zealand would have 8 points. Considering Pakistan’s superior net run rate compared to Afghanistan, the latter would be incapable of preventing an exciting India vs. Pakistan semi-final clash, making it all the more thrilling.
- All Three Teams Lose: If all three teams lose their final matches, they would each finalise with 8 points. In this scenario, the net run rate would come to be the determining factor, and New Zealand would hold the upper hand. This advantage arises from their superior NRR over both Pakistan and Afghanistan, as they are already ahead in the points table.
- New Zealand’s Match Affected by Rain: If New Zealand’s final match against Sri Lanka is affected by rain, and Pakistan secures a victory against England, they will surpass New Zealand in the standings, accumulating 10 points. A win for Afghanistan would also take them to 10 points, triggering a support on net run rate to determine the semi-finalists, where Pakistan would hold an advantage.
- All Last Games Disrupted by Rain: New Zealand advances due to their superior NRR.
India vs. Pakistan Semi-Final Showdown
The possibility of an India vs. Pakistan semi-final clash depends on the outcome of New Zealand’s game against Sri Lanka on Thursday. If New Zealand loses, and Pakistan secures a win against England, the stage ready for an epic India-Pakistan showdown.